Sunday, October 15, 2006

One Day At A Time

This blog isn't going to be my rant for or against the animation industry. It's just what I've been doing and am going to do in and around the biz. I'll leave it to others to pontificate on the business of animation. I will post pics and drawings every now and again as I get to them. Hopefully more often than not.

I'll continue to fight the good fight of remodeling my house, playing with my kids, making sure my wife gets enought sleep, and trying to keep the squirrels out of our giant pecan tree. We lost that fight again this year. It was a bumper crop for them I must say. I really don't know where they hide them all, and I haven't seen one sticky note yet to remind them where they do.

Other things I have been doing over the past year have been this 3D short film I'm working on with other animation friends from various studios. It's a great little film, or as I call it, 'the world's longest short' as it's taken some time just to get it to this point. It started out at Studio Arts during the day classes where we all went for Maya. These were the cheap $75/semester classes mostly paid for the LAUSD (the Los Angeles school system). One of the few things that I think the LA school system was ever good for, because their public schools sure aren't great shakes. One of the tricks of going to these cheaper classes was that you had to be available during the weekdays from 8 am to 3 pm. So it worked for all us unemployed animation folk if you could swing it. Into our second semester we decided to start a project during class instead of just class work, so we wrote, designed, modeled and and are animating a nice short film.

The character above is one of the main characters I modeled and am animating. It was textured by a very talented 3D artist named Iohann Sanmartin from Bogota, Colombia. The character's name is Bubba. He's a blue collar, none too bright working class robot. It's a fun little film and I think it looks great so far in the renders and lighting department as well as the design and animation. It takes place on Mars and has robots but really has nothing to do with anything like the movie Robots.

4 Comments:

At 10/15/2006 1:12 PM, Blogger Julia Lundman said...

Nice work Kevin! I love that robot!!! He looks like a beefy construction worker, nice but a little dense at the same time. I love it! The textures Iohann did are really perfect for the robot, too.

I look forward to hearing more from the life of Kevin as we know it!

Julie

 
At 10/15/2006 1:24 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

Thanks Julie -
It's getting there. Yes he is dense, very slow witted and
he has a perfect dumb voice we got for him.

Yes, the life as I know it. Ha.

Kev

 
At 10/15/2006 4:23 PM, Blogger VonRiesling said...

I'm looking forward to seeing the world's longest short!

 
At 10/15/2006 4:27 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

you ain't the only one!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home